Spotlight: Subra: Help rebuild MIC, not point fingers

Posted in


The MIC's polls debacle has opened the door for former MIC deputy president Datuk S. Subramaniam to make a 'front-row' comeback, which is not exactly welcomed by everyone, including his diehard supporters. Subramaniam tells SUGANTHI SUPARMANIAM why he's returning to national-level party politics.

Q: Where were you after the party election in 2006?

A: After my defeat, I remained in MIC as a member and Seputeh division chairman. I continued with my work and offered services to people throughout the country. I just kept a low profile.

Q: You were out of mainstream MIC politics since the last party election. Why are you willing to return?

A: I feel compelled to help rebuild the party after its dismal performance in the March 8 general election. There is no point in pointing fingers. Many misread this and say I am now joining hands with party president Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu. Naturally, to rebuild the party, I will have to work with the president and need his co-operation.

Q: What about your supporters?

A: My supporters, who are still active in MIC, are happy and welcome my move. But, my supporters who are outside MIC are unhappy with the patch-up. I don't understand this because I have always been in the party. I am not doing it because I am after any position. Samy Vellu has also agreed in principle to revive my supporters' defunct branches, so the party will become stronger.

Q: What about calls from within and outside the party, rejecting your return to the MIC mainstream politics?

A: People who are unhappy with Samy Vellu and others who treated me as a threat are not comfortable with our patch-up. I only came to offer my services. I even declined the central working committee position that Samy Vellu offered.

Q: How will your presence help MIC?

A: I have given my views to Samy Vellu on the re-branding of the party and I think he is implementing it. He is talking to people and is much more accommodating.

Q: There are allegations that caste politics is still at work in MIC. Your views?

A: Caste is not really a factor in MIC but was exploited by some people. In politics, people would use any issue unethically.

Q: Some say the party will be in deeper turmoil if you come back to mainstream politics.

A: It is baseless and illogical. People know me. I'm always a peaceful man, I even work with people who differ with me. I have also remained in the party even after I lost the deputy president post to Datuk G. Palanivel. I also went around during the general election supporting the Barisan Nasional.

Q: What is your view on calls by certain quarters asking for Samy Vellu's resignation as party president?

A: Many people forget the tremendous support Samy Vellu has from within the party. He is well liked by members, especially for his hard work. I think everybody should remain and rebuild the party.

Q: You have been with the party, through thick and thin. Any thoughts of retiring from MIC and politics?

A: The question of retirement does not arise now. I'm the MIC Seputeh division chairman and involved in various activities.

Q: Any plans to contest in the next party election?

A: No plans at the moment. My interest now is to help make the party stronger and getting the Indians to once again recognise MIC as a strong political party which will serve their interest.

Q: Let's talk about the re-branding exercise recently announced. How will changing the colour of uniforms, letterhead, logo and song help to re-brand the party.

A: The president has just announced it so it would be better for him to speak on the concept.

This entry was posted on 6/10/08 at Tuesday, June 10, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 Expressed Themselves

Post a Comment